Sunday, October 28, 2012

East Garfield Art Walk 2012

Let me start off by saying that I was really looking forward to this event. Previous years were pretty fun.      I enjoy art fests quite a bet.   The most famous one in Chicago was probably "Around  The Coyote" in Wicker Park (now defunct thanks to gentrification).  Now I wasn't expecting this one to be in the same category as the Coyote, but  this years art walk was a pretty big disappointment.

We went to the  Albany Carroll Arts Building were we chatted with some of the artists and  bought some art.  However  I was disappointed that many of the studios were closed this year.  The place also didn't seem to have the excitement it had of previous years.  I don't know if it's because of the economy, but the mood was pretty dismal. I have my theories, perhaps the artists have a beef with the landlord and decided to boycott the event, perhaps the organizers didn't really care, perhaps the artists don't care, or maybe the artists in EGP are not really a part of the community.

I was also disappointed that the studios across the street were closed as was the building at 3200 W. Carroll.  We were however able to see The Egyptian Lacquer manufacturing Company Building.  and see one of the studios.  The next day we headed over to the studios at 3311 W. Carroll which supposedly has 25 studios.  I think we saw 2 open at the most.

Our last stop was at the Switching Station Artist Lofts.  This one was equally uneventful.   We met a few of the artists, one woman was working on a mural, which was pretty cool.  However, just like the other buildings, most of the studios were closed.  A couple of the artists who were open didn't even have their work displayed.  They seemed disinterested.   We asked one of the artists why so many of the studios were closed and he replied, "we weren't getting a lot of visitors"   Maybe they weren't getting visitors because they aren't open.  I'm not sure why there was such low participation and a general malaise.  

The following week I was in Pilsen when they were hosting their own art walk.   Completely different experience.  There was trolley's full of dozens of people walking around the neighborhood and there many different activities going on at multiple locations.  There was this festive atmosphere.   It's too bad  because I think this festival has a lot of potential.  I'll probably still go back next year, though I'll probably skip the Switching Station and 3311.  Who knows, maybe it will be better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment